Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dealing with Loss

I started a baby quilt yesterday.  It is for a special baby and her wonderful mom due in Feb. The pattern uses 4 fat 1/4's, 7/8 yard background fabric, 1/2 yard border fabric.  The flying geese are made using the no waste method. (http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf to print out the instructions for the no waste method).  This is my favorite method as you can get 4 flying geese from 1 large (body) square and 4 small (wings) squares.  
I add an 1/8" to the squares for added  security for squaring to correct size.  The quilt is fun and a great way to learn a new way to make flying geese.  I will put the borders on tomorrow.  You can get the pattern here

One of the reasons I started this baby quilt is a dear fellow quilter Mike Kelley, whom I will never forget, and will always be in my heart passed away Jan. 20, 2012My family and I will deeply miss Mike as I am sure that those that knew Mike will miss him too.  It is a bit selfish on my part, but starting a new quilt has helped me with Mike's loss.  Its true quilting is therapy!  Thanks Mike Kelley for sharing your love of quilting with so many!

Until the next post Have Fun Quilting!

4 comments:

Stacie said...

I get quilting as therapy. I use it as such as well. I'm sorry about your loss.

Mari said...

I was petrified by this news...
May his hapiness alive in our hearts and memories forever...
Kisses a lot,
Mari

JustJoyce said...

oh my, are you talking about Mike that always came to Show and Tell and Idea Saturday....how sad. We will all remember his fun spirit and his joy of quilting. Thanks for the post and yes quilting is therapy. A dear friend of mine made about 8 rags quilts during the last 2 months of her sister's life as her sister struggle with cancer . I love this quilt, of course and have made 2 of them. I thought about making a bed size too.
JOyce

Jamie Mueller @ SunFlower Seeds said...

We will miss you Mike! Love how the quilt turned out!