Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Quilt Along!

Have you ever wanted to be part of an online quilt along?  You may ask what is a quilt along?  Well, let me explain it to you: Bloggers usually start one by announcing it.  It sometimes can get very popular and many will participate.  There are guidelines as to what block to make, fabric choices, size, color etc.  Some are very structured but most are not!  There is almost always a Flickr group made just for the Quilt Along for those participating where you can post your photos, have discussions and ask questions. What I like most of all about a Flickr group is to see all of the wonderful creative things people are doing with the same block!  It’s kind of like everyone's using the same pattern but the quilts/blocks look totally different.  Another great thing about a Quilt Along is you can do it from the comfort of your own space while still meeting lots of people who enjoy the same thing you do, which, of course, is quilting!  Oh and did I mention you can learn some wonderful tips and techniques that you can use throughout your quilting life, how great is that?

I am speaking about this because I have decided to join the Old Red Barn Co. Quilt Along. Check out their blog you won’t be disappointed. The Quilt Along called Granny Squares officially starts March 1, 2012, just around the corner, but don’t fret just pick the quilt size and fabric you want to use. No cutting yet!  All the info is on the Flickr group site, click here!  I really encourage anyone who has never done a quilt along, or those of you that have, to try this one out along with me.

I’m finally going to use the Kaffe Fassett fabrics I have had in my stash for 4 years and am so excited to put this beautiful fabric to good use. I can’t wait to get my rotary cutter on them and start my very first Quilt Along!  I have a feeling 2012 is going to be a year of firsts, how exciting this is!

Until the next post Happy Quilting!

4 comments:

Carla said...

Love your fabric.

Jill Rimes said...

Thanks Carla, I can hardly wait to cut them!

Dana said...

Those Kaffe Fassett fabrics are beautiful! Can't wait to see your granny squares!

Jill Rimes said...

Thanks Dana!
I am cutting them today! I'm so excited. I am using a very light solid purple for the background. All the Kaffe fabrics have purple in them.