Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Hand Quilting - I'm back in Love!

I have been lucky enough to have finished several large projects!  What a great feeling that is, so I thought I would tackle the king size quilt that I started 8 years ago to finish! The quilt is for our bed and it is the closet to a  whole-cloth quilt that I will ever make.  (Logan loves whole-cloth quilts) I stopped working on it when we opened the walk-in store 8 years ago. I had to take it off the frame and store the quilt in my closest 6 years ago when our daughter Jamie was married! Well, the walk - in store is closed and its back where it is supposed to be, in the frame by the windows and I have enjoyed hand quilting again!
The quilt is made of 13 - 8" x 98" strips with lots of hand quilting (I think the more the better!).  I am cross hatching the print strips and quilting feathers with cross hatching in the background on the green strips.  4 strips are done so that only leaves 9 to go!  Here is a close up of the quilting.
I have always loved hand quilting.  It puts me in a great place and I am so relaxed.  The only problem is, that's all I want to do is to hand quilt!  Oh well it could be worse.  You should try hand quilting, it has been around for a long time and now I totally understand why, because it makes you feel sooo good!  

Until the next post Happy Quilting!
www.sunflower-quilts.com

11 comments:

doodlebugmom said...

Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful. Do you give hand quilting lessons?

Martha Baldwin

Sarah in Houston said...

I'm so happy to see you are back working on this quilt. You do love it and I'm sorry it's taken you so long to get back. Woo Hoo for you!

Jill Rimes said...

Thanks and yes we do offer hand quilting lessons, but I warn you you will get addicted like me! Go to our web site www.sunflower-quilts.com and click on the classes page for more info! Thanks again!

Quilter Kathy said...

I LOVE these photographs! Absolutely gorgeous quilting and what a lovely spot you have to quilt right by the window!

Anonymous said...

Amazingly beautiful!

-Violet

quiltingwonderland said...

oh this is beautiful! i love everything about it~

Anonymous said...

btw did you use a stencil for the feathers?

Jill Rimes said...

Yes I did use a stencil for the feathers. Thanks!

quiltingwonderland said...

Hello again~ I love this idea for a quilt and was hoping to recreate it if you didn't mind??

quiltingwonderland said...

nevermind