Monday, July 16, 2012

"In the Frame Purse Swap"

It has been very rainy here in Houston the last week, so I decided to start on a project for a swap I am in.  The swap is called "In the Frame Purse Swap"You are to make a small framed purse for your partner and the shipping deadline in July 25- 27th.  I have not made a framed purse before so I thought I had better practice!
Sewing the purse part was easy and fun but gluing the frame to the purse was the hard part. I made one and messed up the gluing terribly and thought, what have I gotten myself into!  But I had to keep going as I could not send my partner something I was not proud of.  So I kept experimenting with ways to glue the purse to the frame.  I found that marking the center of the purse part was very helpful for me, then starting at the center and working my way to each end of the purse worked.  Then I waited for the glue to dry about 30 minutes before I glued the other side of the purse frame. This way the previously glued side was secure and I could fiddle with the remaining side much easier.  Well it all finally clicked and when I became confident with the gluing process I could not stop making them.  I ended up with 2 throw away testers and 4 completed purses shown above. The red and yellow checkerboard is for my partner who lives in Germany! Do you think she will like it? I hope so.  I am excited to see what framed purse I will get, and when it comes I will show it to you!  The lesson learned is that I am glad I tried something new and even though it was a little hard (gluing part) I stuck with it and most importantly had fun!

Until the next post, Happy Quilting!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really cute! I think your swap partner will love it. Where do you get the frames?
-Violet

Jill Rimes said...

I bought the frames from www.cottonandcloud.com they are in the UK. They are the mini silver purse frames and of great quality. It was hard finding good quality frames in the US.

Anonymous said...

Great, thank you! I'll check it out.
-Violet