Wednesday, July 18, 2012

What iron do you love?

With all the steam irons out on the market, what iron is your favorite?  I seem to always sway towards the Rowentas. I must be hard on irons because I need to buy one about every 6 months. I thought I would ask everyone's opinion on steam irons since its time for a new one. After about 6 months the irons seem to not get as hot and the steam does not shoot out like they used to.  I have tried tap, distilled, bottled every kind of water there is.  I have tried cheap $10 to expensive $150 irons as well, all with the same scenario, 6 months max!  Now I must admit I use my iron everyday for at least 1 hour , sometimes all day as I am working on my projects. I just wish there was a great iron out there with all the perks I need, but that is like asking for a perfect sewing machine with every perk in one machine.  I don't mind spending more on an iron (have done that) I just want to know it will last at least a year and give me the crisp pressed seam I desire.  What do you think about irons?


Until the next post Happy Quilting!

5 comments:

Lois Jones said...

Sorry, but I can't help you. Mine is a GE and at least 45 years old. Still works great, and I've always used distilled water in it.

Aunt Marti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aunt Marti said...

Jill, I too go through irons like a hot knife through butter. It seem that no matter how much I pay for them, they last about a year, then start leaking. My current fav is the Velocity V50 by Reliable. This baby gets HOT and BOY does she STEAM!
http://www.reliablecorporation.com/Products/Home-Irons/Velocity-V50

(original comment deleted so I could correct my spelling!)

Nancy said...

This comes at a perfect time for me. My R*****a travel iron just stopped heating after only 4 months. Even with my receipt, I can't exchange it. I "CAN" mail it to the maker for repair or replace but I'm not spending money on something that only lasted four months. So, I'm in search of a new, lightweight iron. I rarely use steam so thats the least important feature for me. I prefer one without the automatic shut off feature too.

Anonymous said...

Never any luck with any R*****a either. They fail and sputter. No exception. The handle on the Reliable V50 crumbles and deteriorates in a very annoying way. So I dropped by Walmart for an inexpensive Hamilton Beach with this strange fake chrome/lift it off the ironing board attachment. There is a great switch that turns OFF "auto off" so that it will stay on while I am ironing a top or yardage. It is only 1500 watts but I a suspect all irons are manufactured in the same place and this is the only option.