Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine Lone Star Mug Rug


This mug rug was made for my dear friend and was so much fun to make.  While I was making it, I had a smile on my face! The lone star was made from 4 diamond units, and I used 5 different Moda Grunge fabrics which were cut to 1" stripsY-seams are no fun, so instead I just sewed a background strip to each diamond unit. I then pressed the seam and cut the diamond/background unit  following the diamond's 45 degree angle. Then I sewed the diamond units together. I liked the look of a half lone star block so much, so that's what I decided to do. I got the idea of a half lone star block from my friend, Pinterest!  I then squared up the mug rug and machine quilted it using Aurifil wool thread, which I absolutely loved and will now be my go to thread.

Until the next post Happy Quilting!
www.sunflower-quilts.com