Friday, January 10, 2014

To Starch or Not to Starch - That is the Question!

When you are piecing your blocks/quilt tops do you use Magic Sizing? 
This is an interesting question as it seems split 50/50. Its kind of like do you pre-wash your fabric or not? For me personally I use Magic Sizing every time I piece. It is like a security blanket for me. Now keep in mind I use sizing not starch. Sizing is much lighter and does not leave flakes or residue and it makes the fabric stiffer for more accurate cutting and sewing. The fabric just seems a little more stable and I like that. It makes my blocks look oh so crisp and neat too. I used to use a lot of Best Press but that is just too expensive for me. Don't get me wrong I love Best Press but since I go through a can of sizing or more a week it is just not cost effective. I can also get Magic Sizing at the grocery store which is convenient too. Not all quilt shops carry Best Press and to have it shipped is expensive because of the weight. So if you want to make your piecing a little easier and you haven't used sizing give it a try, it just might help you!




Until the next post Happy Quilting!

4 comments:

Shelley: the Dread Pirate Rodgers said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

I absolutely *LOVE* Best Press, but my budget can't afford it. I can get Magic Sizing for 97¢ at Walmart and you better believe I stock up when I go there.

I *love* the stability that Magic Sizing gives to the blocks and that makes everything so much more accurate.

Lisa C said...

I started out using starch but switched to Best Press when I heard that starch attracted bugs. (A teacher told me this.) I have no idea if sizing is made from the same base as starch or not. Do you? I buy the huge jug of Best Press with a 40% coupon. You use a lot more than I do!

barbara woods said...

i always use sizing , don't like the starch buildup

Jill Rimes said...

Thanks for all your comments and for reading the blog!