Monday, March 10, 2014

Ruffle Love - "Think Ruffles" Blog Hop!


http://www.sewwequilt.com/
I am sooo excited to be a part of the “Think Ruffles” blog hop sponsored by “Sew We Quilt” and our cheerleader Amy from “Sew Incredibly Crazy”. This is my first time participating in one of the “Sew We Quilt” blog hops and I’m so glad I did! It has been a great experience, mainly because the blog hop was organized and run so well.  Thanks so much for this opportunity Madame Samm and Amy!  If you are interested in being involved in one of their blog hops go to “Sew We Quilt” and choose one to participate in. I promise it will be a GREAT experience.

So I do love ruffles, they are the perfect embellishment for baby quilts, wall hangings and accessories.  Don’t be afraid of ruffles, just buy a ruffle foot for your sewing machine! It will make ruffles so much easier, I promise.  After making ruffles the traditional way of basting stitches and pulling the basting stitches to form the ruffle, I thought, there must be an easier way. I started searching for that way and found a ruffle foot for my sewing machine. I must admit I was a little (a lot) intimidated as the ruffle foot is big and clunky looking, however looks can be deceiving! I read the instructions that came with my foot and started ruffling, never to look back! Check out our You Tube video on how to use a ruffle foot and maybe it will encourage you too!



First, I wanted to share with you an idea that came from my daughters. They love having a cute key chain that they can easily find . So why not add a ruffle to make it super cute and practical! 



Second was some Easter bunting with a cute pleated ruffle at the top. See below for the tutorial!  You can embellish the bunting however you want, have fun and create your very own Easter bunting! 

Ruffled Easter Bunting Tutorial

Supplies:

1 ⅔ yards Fabric for Bunting Triangles (Front and Back)
⅛ yard Fabric for Applique Letters
¼ yard Fusible Web for Applique Letters (We used SoftFuse)
⅔ yard Pellon  987F Fusible Fleece
⅓ yard Fabric for Ruffle
¼ yard Fabric for Binding

From the bunting triangles fabric cut 1 – 11” x WOF strips. From the strips cut 5 – 8 ½” x 11” rectangles. Mark bottom center of rectangle 4 ¼”, cut from 4 ¼” mark to left corner, repeat for right corner. You will need 12 front bunting triangles and 12 back bunting triangles.





We used 4” letter stencils from the office supply store and cookie cutters for our templates. Trace letters on the paper side of fusible web. (Remember to trace letters in reverse so they are appliqued in correct direction)

 

Cut out letters and fuse each letter to one front bunting triangle 1 ¾” from top.  Machine applique if desired.




From the fusible fleece cut 2 – 10” x WOF strip, from the strips cut 12 - 7 ½” x 10” rectangles.  Mark bottom center of rectangle 3 ¾”, cut from 3 ¾” mark to left corner, repeat for right corner.  On each fleece triangle cut ½” off bottom point. 


  
Place a front bunting triangle to a fused fleece back triangle right sides together. Using a ¼” seam allowance, stitch about 1” from top side all the way around the triangle ending stitching 1” from remaining top side leaving a few inches open at top to turn right side out.





 



Pin bunting triangles overlapping corners 1”. Baste all 12 bunting triangles to make one unit.

 
From the ruffle fabric cut 4 – 2” x WOF strips(need approximately 180” strip). Stitch short ends together to make 1 long continuous strip. Press in half wrong sides together.  Stitch a scant ¼” from raw edges (this will help if you use a ruffle foot from the strip opening  while you are making the ruffle).  


Set your ruffle foot to 6 (every 6 stitches makes a ruffle) and sew the ruffle using a scant ¼” seam allowance.



Baste ruffle to bunting triangle unit.

From the binding fabric cut 3 – 2 ½” x WOF strips (need approximately 95” strip). Stitch short ends together to make 1 long continuous strip. Press in half wrong sides together. 

Sew binding to wrong side of bunting unit leaving about 9” of binding on each end.  Press to front enclosing raw edges at each end of binding. Top stitch binding down to front from end to end. 

                 



Third is a cute “Ruffled Baby Quilt”. We love this quilt because it is so easy and you can use those wonderful Jelly Roll strips as they are already cut to size. We have this pattern available on our web site or Craftsy shop. It’s only $5 and is a PDF download.  We would like to offer this pattern as a free giveaway to 2 lucky winners. All you have to do is leave a comment and let us know that you are now following my blog.  The winners will be picked at random on the last day of the “Think Ruffles” blog hop: March 14th 2014!





Last but not least, please check out the following blogs to see what ruffle projects they are sharing today!
March 10th 
Until the next post Happy Quilting!





 

60 comments:

Amy said...

They are all just lovely, Jill! Great idea for the key chain and the bunting is just perfect with the ruffle on the top! And of course the quilt is absolutely charming and romantic in those colors. I am so glad you hopped with us.

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Love your projects! The key chain is so cute, the bunting is adorable (thanks for the easy-to-follow tutorial) and I just love that quilt!!! :)

I follow your blog via email

Judy B said...

You had a ruffled good time, love your projects and the great tutorial! Thank you for sharing and joining the hop.

Anita said...

Your key chain is sew neat! The bunting and quilt are also good looking.

Anita said...

I follow your blog.

MalinisQuilts said...

Lovely ruffles on the Easter bunting! Great idea! Will have to try it sometime. Thank you for sharing the tutorial.

The baby quilt is adorable with ruffles. I am following your blog through blogger.

Britt-Inger said...

Your ruffles projects are all so lovely. Most of all I love the baby quilt.

Shari said...

Loving all your ruffled projects!! Gotta get me a ruffler foot cause I really don't like doing them by hand and yours just look so spiffy! Beautiful quilt!

Shari said...

Oh, and I'm following via GFC and email!

charlotte said...

All such cute ideas. Love the bunting and the baby quilt is so adorable. Great idea for the key ring.

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Your projects are all very creative and adorable! The quilt is especially nice.

Judy said...

Waoh, I love the 2 projects, just wonderful. I think I will make these flags for my eldest's son birthday, thanks for the tutorial!

Carol said...

Such great ruffle projects! I love that quilt!

Shirlee Fassell said...

Love the Easter bunting and the tutorial... what a great idea!! The baby quilt is so sweet.

Dorian said...

Lovely projects, that quilt is so pretty.

Mdm Samm said...

I am in ruffle heaven…all of your projects are simply divine….nice to hear this is your first hop with us….hope to see you again…you can certainly ruffle pretty feathers lol

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love your banner and the baby quilt is adorable. I'm going to look for a ruffler! blessings, marlene

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Charming pieces!! I adore that baby quilt.

Carol said...

Neat use of ruffles! I like all your projects but especially like the baby quilt. Thanks for sharing!

Linda said...

What cute ruffled projects! My favorite is the baby quilt! Adorable!

Sherry said...

You really got to it as far as making ruffles. I would like to try a banner and the ruffle adds a great finish. I agree that this hop has been a fun one.

Patti said...

Love the idea of the ruffles on the jelly roll quilt. Thanks for the chance to win the pattern. I have signed up for the newsletter.

Carla said...

Your projects are so original. Very cool key chain and your Easter bunting is just precious. I love ruffles in a quilt and using a jelly roll is perfect. Great post!

patchouli moon studio said...

Great looking key chain with the ruffle. I like the fabric that you chose for the ruffle too. Bunting is a fun place to add ruffles too.

Linda J said...

Welcome to the sew we quilt blog hop family, Jill. Hope you will participate again! THX for sharing your fun projects with us. All of them are cute and thx for the tutorial on making the Easter Bunting complete with ruffle! My fav is the ruffled jelly roll quilt. Those ruffles really brought it to a whole new level of texture and color.

Carolyn said...

I love the key chain with the ruffle. So creative! Thank you for sharing the tutorial on the bunting. I will definitely have to give it a try. And your ruffled baby quilt is ADORABLE! Thank you for sharing your creations. :)

Margaret said...

I love your projects. Thanks for sharing I follow by GFC

Beth said...

That quilt is just too cute! I love it.

MooseStashQuilting said...

I love love love that keychain. What a great idea. Fun bunting, and wow, what a gorgeous quilt!

LittleHouseontheDairy said...

Lovely bunting!

Lana said...

WOW! That ruffled quilt is amazing! so sweet! and the rose...i have been wanting to make one of those too! Can't wait...well...maybe after I make that cute ruffled bunting...
Oh goodness! they are all wonderful!

Rose Best said...

Love your projects...

OhioLori said...

Awesome job!! Love the ruffly baby quilt 'specially!! We have new lil' one comin' to wonderful friend's in May...this gives me sweet idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

toniaconner said...

I WILL make that baby quilt. I just don't know if I can wait to see if I win a pattern. I want to do it NOW.
Thanks for sharing your ideas. key chain is really cute too.

Createology said...

Ruffles are Fabric Smiling and your ruffled projects are making me smile. I adore the key chain. Thank you sew very much for Hopping...

Heidi [Banks of Frog Creek] said...

You've been busy! The quilt is my favorite :)

Leah said...

great projects! Love that key fob.

LJ said...

You are so creative! Love the double ruffles so much and you utilized them so well on the key fob and the baby quilt. LOVE the quilt. Then the bunting (Thank you so much for the tut.)...they are wonderful and the ruffles really do add some pizzaz.

LJ said...

I am a new follower of your blog - as of today. I use Feedly for all my blogs.

JanesQuilting said...

Your projects are all so pretty. The idea of the key chain was terrific...I like that. And the baby quilt is adorable.

Suze said...

What a great beginning for your first hop!! Thank you very much for hopping! I love the bunting. I'm thinking about making one and sending to my daughter for her mantle. I think my grandsons (as well as the adults) would enjoy it. She is hard to please. Thanks for including the directions. I like the addition to the key chain. It makes it more girly without being over the top. My guild makes quilts for needy babies and toddlers. Wouldn't a child just adore a quilt made from your pattern with those ruffles? I saw your Honeycomb Rose pattern and fell in love with it, too! It wasn't the only one - it was just the first one that caught my eye. Thanks for joining the hop and hope to see you in more very soon.

Theresa said...

Your ruffled pennant is really cute and your ruffled baby quilt is sweet. Great job!

Mary said...

Your quilt is lovely. Like the idea of putting ruffles on the key fob.

madebymeinred said...

Thanks for the tut! You have taken ruffles to the top, literally. Very, very neat.

Brenda said...

Love all of your ideas. My niece used a similar banner spelling out "big brother" and posing her 3-year old in front of it to use as a pic on facebook announcing her pregnancy. No ruffles, tho. Do follow you via Dashboard. You have lots of ideas, and I certainly could use a new baby quilt pattern!

Thank you.

MoeWest said...

Great projects! I especially love the bunting with ruffles! The baby quilt is very sweet too. I follow with bloglovin. Thanks for the giveaway.

maggie said...

I love all of your projects, but the ruffled baby quilt is great. Babies love texture, the baby will love feeling the ruffle. Well done,
cheers
maggie

maggiemine42@gmail.com

gpc said...

Oh my gosh, what ADORABLE projects! Love them all. :)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great projects. Love the bunting!

Nancy said...

All your ideas are great. I really like the keychain concept! And why not add ruffles to a bunting?

jan said...

Wow - great projects! Love the bunting and thanks for sharing how you made it.
xo jan

sandra said...

Love all of your projects and thanks for bunting tutorial.

Doris Rice said...

Welcome to the blog hop. It is great fun hopping with Mdm Samm at Sew We Quilt. I'm sure you'll be back again. Your projects are awesome! I love them all!

Just Quilt It said...

Oh, I love your projects, but especially that darling baby quilt! Thanks for sharing such great projects. I am a follower.

Terri Ann said...

Great tutorial for that lovely bunting! Your ruffled quilt is just so sweet too. You're so talented.

Rose Marie Andreozzi said...

I follow by email! Loved your projects...would like more info on how to make the keychain... sewingblogsarefun@yahoo.com

Missy Shay said...

That keychain is perfect, you can even carry your keys on your wrist without losing them!

Bear Creek Quilting Company said...

Your ruffffly projects are adorable. Thank you for sharing. ~Shari

Janarama said...

All of your projects are cute. Love the baby quilt.

WhoMom said...

The keychain is wonderful but the baby quilt is fantastic. And I need to make a baby quilt for someone at the thrift store I like to go to. Thank you for sharing your ideas! I'm following on e-mail too.